[Debconf-team] Budget - current status

[ Sent to -team, as we need input from other people ASAP too! Also
  cc:ed to Sam for info. If anything is unclear or you think it's
  wrong, please respond straight away! Budget item details first,
  money summary at the bottom. ]

Hi folks,

I'm working through the spreadsheet at the moment - exact numbers are
there in svn: debconf-team/dc7/budget-debconf7.ods

Dinner / ceilidh
================
At this point, we're not going to have a dinner but we're looking at a
ceilidh (food/drink/dancing) instead. Moray is working on that (I
hope! *grin*). However, one of the new sponsors wants to organise/pay
for a party. Maybe we can mesh the two together if we're lucky.

Day trip
========
The day trip is looking unlikely. If more money comes in over the next
couple of weeks, we *may* be able to do it but let's not assume
anything there yet.

Travel
======
It *looks* like we'll be able to cover all of queue A. Ganneff has
already allocated USD 20K (GBP 10,250) and will need (approximately)
USD 14K (GBP 7,200) more to finish that queue. We are *not* going to
be covering queue B (again, unless we get more unexpected money very
soon). We need to make sure we have the money to be able to
*guarantee* travel sponsorship before we spend more.

Catering/accommodation/venue hire
=================================
... are all accounted for, I believe. Thanks to Jon, Pete and Kev's
efforts it looks like we may even get some small amounts *back* from
each. We are *not* banking on that money, though - as/when/if it comes
back, it'll be too late to do much with it apart from cover
incidentals.

Insurance
=========
Phil has promised to look into insurance for us - we're expecting to
need insurance against accident liability (etc.) and to cover loaned
equipment. We have a *complete* guess of GBP 2K for that, but we're in
the dark at the moment and need to get some proper numbers ASAP.

Conference bag contents
=======================
(aka T-shirts, proceedings, nametags, etc.)

Gunnar is organising T-shirts in Mexico, and we're proposing to
organise paying for those and travel for some Mexican people using:

 * money left there from DC6
 * ~USD 2,000 sponsorship he found from a local sponsor

I'm assuming people are happy with that - shout otherwise.

Nametags are in hand - Holger and Mark are working that out.

We've asked people to confirm if they want paper copies of the
proceedings - it's obviously cheaper to produce less copies if some
people don't. Mark is doing the layout work and is also going to look
into printing costs.

Moray says he is organising local travel / tourist leaflets. O'Reilly
will be providing the bags themselves, and books too.

We also need to make sure we account for bags to go to sponsors too -
let's not have a repeat of the mess from last year... :-/

Infrastructure/audio/video
==========================

As far as I know, the last major items we need to deal with are
infrastructure-based:

 * Projectors for talk rooms
 * PA (audio)
 * Banner(s)

In these cases, we don't have numbers at all. I don't know if they may
cost GBP 100 or GBP 10,000 for the conference. We need numbers ASAP to
allow us to finalise the budget...

Money summary
=============
Financial things are looking up, but we're not *completely* out of the
woodwork yet. We've managed to pick up more money from some of the
existing sponsors, and various people have managed to find more
sponsors too, both for money and equipment loan. Yay!

Current sponsorship numbers:

Already received in the UK: GBP 30,500
Invoiced, awaiting money:   GBP 45,500

(Those may look bad, but that's just because large-ish amounts of
money are still at SPI. We're transferring it through right now as
quickly as we can.)

=======================================

TOTAL definite money in     GBP 76,000

TOTAL expected costs        GBP 81,000
(subject to change -
 see sections above)

=======================================

TOTAL budget state          GBP -5,000

We're looking at a hole of *roughly* GBP 5,000 at this point, but we
have firm promises of a further GBP 11,000 or so that are just
awaiting final agreement and invoicing. That leaves us in a good
state, I believe.

Now shout at me. This is my own understanding of the money situation,
and I'm sure Neil will have stuff to add shortly.

What's left?

*RIGHT NOW*, we need some tighter numbers for various things:

 * insurance (Phil)
 * infrastructure: projectors/PA/banners/other(?) (Various)

And I'm happy to agree Gunnar using .mx money and his local sponsor to
cover flights and Ts.

Talk to me.

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...