Re: [Debconf-team] Press team

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 02:44:06PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 10833 March 1977, Patty Langasek wrote:
> > One thing I'd like to have established is *who* is point for the press to
> > contact? I understand press@debconf.org is the contact email, but there
> > should be a clear leader for this team in general - and a clear point
> > contact for the press to approach (unless language barriers restrict that).
> > Any ideas? Volunteers?

> Currently press@ is Nattie, with me being the one who kills her nerves
> by constantly asking if stuff is done. :)

> So, I currently count the following people who (volunteer) for
> press@debconf.org:

> Nattie Mayer-Hutchings
> José Parrella
> Moray Allan
> Patty Langasek
> Andreas Barth

> *I* would prefer Nattie and Patty for press@debconf.org itself, combined
> with a mailing list on lists.debconf.org where everyone can participate,
> suggest stuff, prepare texts for press releases which are later done by
> Nattie or Patty, etc.

> The contact for press stays press@debconf.org which goes into our
> RT. Nattie and Patty (will) have access there to modify stuff. And to see newly
> generated things (everyone can "submit" issues via that alias) to work
> on...

> How does that sound? If involved people like that it can be setup today
> it to work that way (list creation and giving patty the RT access), if
> not - maybe a IRC meeting to discuss it more? Should save some time
> instead of doing it all on the list. :)

I'm unsure why the email needs to be restricted to Nattie and me, or even
just Nattie, or just one person in general. Personally, I think there's
something to be said about too many cooks in the kitchen, and such, and as I
said, we do need a particular point person for press to be able to contact
with inquiries, but I don't really think it's necessary to *restrict* access
for modifying from others on the team. The nice thing about having several
hands in the pot (one of the few nice things), is that someone can take over
in the event of a busy week/family emergency/case of burn-out, etc.

IN other words, I'm not terribly comfortable with access being restricted to
just two (or three) people. I think anyone on the team should have access
unless they prove themselves to be abusive of that access.

Nattie and I were just throwing out some times that we'd like to get
together on IRC to hash some things out. Being in a timezone 8 hours off
from each other makes matters interesting - so, we're aiming for Sunday
afternoon/evening (British time), which would naturally be morning for me
(PST). I understand that not a lot of people like to give up their weekends
to the computer (Ok, that's not true - consider who I live with.), but it'd
be nice if everyone on the team could be available at some point during the
weeks to get together and brain dump what's going on.

Peace and Love!
Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski