Re: [Debconf-team] Andreas Schuldei resigned - Restructure of the DebConf Team

Alexander Schmehl wrote on 12/07/2006 11:58:

> But I agree with holger here:  We have time for that, and the future
> structure of the orga team is such an important point, that we must not
> be hasty about that.

While I also (as an "outsider") would  say that you (or we) have a lot
of time to decide on the structure, there is one point which should get
solved as soon as possible: Sponsor contacts.
I have organized sponsor contacts for a sports club once, after my
predecessor didn't handle them for a while. I therefor know that it can
be really hard work to re-establish these contacts, while it is
relatively easy to keep them working. Even if you change the person in
charge for this "job" inside the team later, someone should "pick up the
loose ends" as soon as possible.

Another note regarding something from Aschwin:

Aschwin van der Woude wrote on 12/07/2006 10:39:
>    * Treasurer (one person)
>        Preferably somebody from the local team. This person will take
>        care of budgetting, keeping a ledger, sending invoices, paying
>        bills, taking care of travel reimbursments, etc. etc.
>        This can become a heavy task.

In my experience, at least two people should know how the budget is
planned. Even though only one person should give out the money. This
helps avoiding two things (but only prevents them when proper
documentation is done and some self-discipline is applied):
1) The project failing because the intended treasurer isn't available
   for some reason and noone else knows the details.
2) Paying for the same thing twice.

It's often a good idea if the "Main organizer" (i.e. someone who keeps
an eye on the big picture and coordinates the sub-groups) and the
Treasurer work closely together.

Regards,
Sven