[Debconf-team] alternative ways of funding debconf

Hi!

we have now looked at the possible/likely venues of debconf7. I
expect reports to surface soon on this mailinglist.

it turns out that only one of the options would not require us to
come up with an alternative way of funding debconf (one of the
ones in sarajevo, which involves the arabic culture center).

So we need to rething if we are willing to run debconf
differently. AJ suggested that in his earlier mail, but i am a
bit reluctant.

if we limit local sponsorship to e.g. 200 people to keep costs
under control we would in effect ask the remaining people to
carry costs of 7*19+250 = 383€ (or for debcamp and travel from
abroad at a more expensive venue 7*37+700 = 959€) themselfs.

i would expect more rumors of us paying our friends to come, more
infighting and envy and demands for silly regulations like "only
DDs!", "only people who fixed N bugs!" or "only people who
finished the new debconf attendee process!" and more public
control. I think at least at that point i would not enjoy running
the event any more.

what do you think? do you have ideas or suggestions on how to
slice the cake? should we try to slice it at all?

/andreas