Re: [Debconf-team] alternative ways of funding debconf

Andreas Schuldei dijo [Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 06:57:41PM +0200]:
> Hi!
>
> we have now looked at the possible/likely venues of debconf7. I
> expect reports to surface soon on this mailinglist.
>
> it turns out that only one of the options would not require us to
> come up with an alternative way of funding debconf (one of the
> ones in sarajevo, which involves the arabic culture center).

Hmh... Is the situation _that_ dramatic? I cannot say we are currently
swimming in money, but IIRC this year we will end up with a surplus of
over US$20,000, am I wrong?

> if we limit local sponsorship to e.g. 200 people to keep costs
> under control we would in effect ask the remaining people to
> carry costs of 7*19+250 = 383??? (or for debcamp and travel from
> abroad at a more expensive venue 7*37+700 = 959???) themselfs.
>
> i would expect more rumors of us paying our friends to come, more
> infighting and envy and demands for silly regulations like "only
> DDs!", "only people who fixed N bugs!" or "only people who
> finished the new debconf attendee process!" and more public
> control. I think at least at that point i would not enjoy running
> the event any more.

Yes, this can become a very problematic issue to solve... If needed, I
would go for a first-come-first-serve plus validation... We will have
to define clear criteria for choosing who is in and who is not. Or, as
others have pointed out, come up with different ways to sponsor
people: Maybe accomodation only, no food?

But anyway, we can only guess now. We have to see how we end up once
we have hard numbers, both on the venue, the sponsors' participation,
and the amount of expected attendees (which I expect to be larger than
this year).

Greeetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23