Re: [Debconf-team] (no subject)

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 09:05:32PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006, Ted Walther wrote:
As I made clear before when Amaya asked me about kosher food on IRC,
my food requirements are not the same as the Orthodox Jewish kosher;
I follow the Karaite Jewish version of kashrut, which allows a single
set of kitchen utensils, allows mixing of meat and dairy, and does
not require the intervention of a rabbi.

An orthodox kosher diet or a vegan diet are capable of satisfying these
requirements. [I have no idea if there is a sufficient orthodox jewish
population in the area in which Debconf will be held to have meat that
has been butchered in the Orthodox.]

There is a large Jewish community in Mexico City, so the hotel should
have no problem shipping prepared kosher meals in.

However, I didn't ask the team to go to that expense.  I merely asked
someone on the debconf team to speak to the chef at the hotel; he may
clear up my concerns by simply stating "the meat is bled immediately
after slaughter".
At least one other attendee has the same dietary restrictions, except
in his case he also cannot eat anything with nuts (peanuts, almonds,
etc) or he will go into cardiac arrest.

Someone who will go into anaphylaxis[1] upon the ingestion of nuts will
need to be extra careful; even foods that are prepared in the presence
of nuts can cause an onset of a serious allergic reaction.  [They
should be carrying epinephrine or whatever their doctor has advised
them to take in case they accidentally injest some.]

Yes, my friend is very sensitive to foods prepared in the presence of
nuts.  This is another concern which may be alleviated as easily as
having a simple conversation with the chef at the hotel.

Is there anyone who speaks Spanish who could take this on?

Ted

--
It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973