Re: The tone of discussion on this list

Hi Alexander,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 07:47:42PM +0100, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2019, Ghassan_Kanafani wrote:

> > Can you provide the definitions of anti-semitism and "antirealism" that
> > you're using?

> No, this is something that can't be pressed in a proper definition. But if
> people think that sentences like:

> "Either way this ignores the fact that Israel has been murdering Muslims for
> countless years and the state of Israel sits on occupied Palestinian land.
> Debian having a conference in contestedland where military conflict and
> oppressive acts are occurring is unacceptable."
> (Just one example).

> are acceptable on our lists they are wrong.  We can of course now start
> constructing sentences like those for muslims, hindus or whatever ethnical
> group.  But I don't want to see someone going that route.

> So we either discuss in a constructive way or we should stop that
> discussion now.

I welcome the listmasters reminding us that we are a community and that the
tone of our discussions should correspond, and I acknowledge your statement
that the above message is not acceptable for this reason.

But as a fellow Debian Developer, I must object to the implication that this
particular statement is antisemitic.  It is not antisemitic to object to the
policies of the Israeli government.  It is not antisemitic to characterize
the actions of the Israeli government as "murder", any more than it is to do
so in regards to the actions of my own government.

This is a problematic topic all around; please do not make it more
problematic with unsubstantiated accusations of racism.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/