Re: The tone of discussion on this list

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:10 PM, Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019, Nasir El-Amin wrote:

> So just to clarify your stance is that stating historically factual statements about human rights violations in a country where the project has decided to whole an event and where people of specific faiths and ethnicity will be excluded is off limits? Because that’s what your quoted statement was addressing.
We can state historically factual statements for all over the world for
years, probably for every country where a debconf ever happened. But that
don't take us any further in that discussion.

> I just want to be clear so others know they cannot publicly criticize the project for these reasons which are all factual.
>
> Also can you refer to any project policy or rule that’s documented publicly that prohibits this? You state that such is not allowed is that a rule you made up on the fly or is it documented somewhere?

From our policy:
* The mailing lists exist to foster the development and use of Debian. Non-constructive or off-topic messages, along with other abuses, are not welcome.
* Try not to flame; it is not polite.
* Use common sense all the time.

From the CoC:

* Be respectful
* Assume good faith

Alex
1. Debconf focuses on discussion around the Debconf event.
2. The bid and discussion for this specific Debconf was done behind closed doors which departs from the Social Contract which says things will be done in the open.
3. The issues I raise are not flaming it’s abusive for you to falsely conflate that criticism of our project holding an event in a place where Muslims and people of Middle Eastern descent would be excluded and if they some how could enter Israel would feel unsafe and uncomfortable due to genocide and fascism.
4. None of those who have replied have assumed good faith and neither have you. As a user of Debian and contributor I have as much right as anyone else to be critical of the project.
5. It is now very evident your trying to misinterpret the social contract and code of conduct and what’s been said in order to censor entirely valid and permitted discussion.

I say to you Alex and the other list maintainer who threatened to ban me that your abusing your powers here and what I have said does not violate the code of conduct or social contract.

If anything your failure to assume good faith is in violation of the code of conduct of this project and your threats to ban and censor are also violations possibly warranting action by the DPL.

You can’t shutdown discussion just because you dislike it and have the power to do so.