Re: Suggestions, questions and concerns about DebConf19?

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 11:44:40AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 08/11/2018 11:23 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> What happens in case of an emergency then? Aren't organizers of large
> >> events of this type required by law to keep lists of real name?
> >
> > Why would they?
>
> It's a matter of liability. If your event surpasses a certain size, you
> will not be able to make sure that everyone who attends is of good will,
> for example.

Right, and that's completely irrelevant.

> >> If, for example, an attendee of the conference has a serious accident
> >> and other folk call emergency services, they will have a problem when
> >> asked for the name and street address of an attendee.> Or, even worse,
> >> if an attendee died, organizers will not be able to contact someone
> >> from the circle of their family etc.
> >
> > For this kind of issues, there's government organizations like
> > consulates and so on.
>
> And? How is the consulate going to identify them?

By way of a government-issued document, like a passport?

> >> Or imagine an attendee commits a felony, you need to be able to
> >> identify them as well.
> >
> > Talk to the police.
>
> Even the police cannot identify a foreigner without passport documents.

We cannot either.

> There have been numerous cases in the past where police found someone
> unconscious without an ID and amnesia and they were unable to identify
> them for months. Just happened here recently in Berlin.

That does happen, yes, and in such cases it's something we might be able
to help with if we know in detail who a particular person is.

But there's nothing that *requires* us to be able to do that. "We run a
conference" doesn't mean "we babysit everyone who attends". Nor should
it; if (adult) attendees decide that they value their privacy more than
their personal safety, then that's their problem, not Debconf's.

> >> There are probably countless occasions where
> >> it's simply not enough to identify as "trumpet232" at the registration
> >> desk.
> >
> > I don't agree. That's not Debian's job to do the one of the police and
> > other governmental organizations.
>
> So you're saying that taking care of each other is not important for
> Debian?

It would be useful if you stopped coming up with extreme hyperbolic
examples and then accusing the people who don't agree with you of
something ethically unjust. It's not helpful, nor constructive.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab