Re: Suggestions, questions and concerns about DebConf19?

On 08/11/2018 10:01 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 08/11/2018 09:06 AM, Clayton wrote:
>> This was my first DebConf and I chose not to offer my last name on the
>> registration, or at any point during the conference, and nobody seemed
>> bothered. I believe(?) there were some registrants who were entirely
>> pseudonymous. If one does not want one's name exposed publicly in an
>> online community, then just don't give a real name.
>
> What happens in case of an emergency then? Aren't organizers of large
> events of this type required by law to keep lists of real name?

Why would they?

> If, for example, an attendee of the conference has a serious accident
> and other folk call emergency services, they will have a problem when
> asked for the name and street address of an attendee.> Or, even worse,
> if an attendee died, organizers will not be able to contact someone
> from the circle of their family etc.

For this kind of issues, there's government organizations like
consulates and so on.

> Or imagine an attendee commits a felony, you need to be able to
> identify them as well.

Talk to the police.

> There are probably countless occasions where
> it's simply not enough to identify as "trumpet232" at the registration
> desk.

I don't agree. That's not Debian's job to do the one of the police and
other governmental organizations.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)