Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-announce] Proposing speakers for DebConf17

at bottom :-

On 10/09/2016, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcarter@linux.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> Tracking them might be useful though, because travelers might be able to
> attend additional events close to (time wise and distance wise) to
> DebConf. Might also make it easier to tell your boss "Oh sorry I can't
> attend SomeConf™ this year because I already know DebConf is that week" :p
>
> -Jonathan

Hi all,
As a potential attendee, it is nice if there is possibility of
attending other events BUT from an organizer's perspective I would
have to agree it is pure madness as conflicts would be inherent as
some event is bound to happen somewhere or the other at any specific
date in time.

Two years (2015) there was debconf in Germany. It might have pulled in
more of a crowd then it was if the conference was held around Cebit's
time http://www.cebit.de/home but then the budget, logistics might
have gone of the roof and it probably would have created more issues
than ever so that also probably needs to be kept in mind as well.

Even the 2016 event (as came to know later) was done when the tourist
season was on the way down which made it slightly cheaper for people
like me who also wanted to see a bit of the city so those aspects
probably need to be regarded as well.

On a side note, from various articles on the web for articles about
Canada, for e.g.
http://journeymart.com/de/canada-best-time-to-visit.aspx tells that
the event would be in the middle of the peak tourist season seeing the
dates at https://debconf17.debconf.org/

Once the dates have been announced, I don't think it should be moved
around as potential attendees have to figure out budgets, visa and
other schedules, even at the cost of losing few potential attendees as
that could happen for any unforeseen circumstances anyway.

What probably would be more helpful for potential attendees to make
their mind up is figuring out events which are happening locally
(in/near Montreal) which might be fun and useful to attendees,
families etc.

For instance, I just saw that there was comiccon in Montreal In July
2016 http://www.montrealcomiccon.com/ or/and Starfleet Academy
http://joinstarfleetacademy.ca/about/

AFAIK there hasn't been any selection made where the 2018 debconf
would be happening from the various bids. Also finding out events 2
years in the future would not be an easy task anyways. I am open to be
corrected on this.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल