Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-announce] Proposing speakers for DebConf17

Jonathan,

>Tracking them might be useful though, because travelers might be able to
>attend additional events close to (time wise and distance wise) to
>DebConf. Might also make it easier to tell your boss "Oh sorry I can't
>attend SomeConf™ this year because I already know DebConf is that week" :p

If by "Tracking" you mean "Listing them in a Calendar", that is a nice idea.  But that is different than trying to schedule DebConf to avoid conferences that spring up, are cancelled, moved, etc. ("MADDNESS!").

It also shows why cutting travel tickets is a balance between getting them too early and perhaps having unused tickets (health issues, family issues, business issues and other issues that are unavoidable) and getting cheap fares or sharing the costs with other events.

In the latter case, I think it is really up to the "high profile people" to help with that.  I am going on a month-long trip to Latin America and I am coordinating the airline tickets between four groups (three non-profit) to try and be as "fair" as I can in travel costs, and in saving them money.  To ask them to coordinate between the four of them (as they work on other event details) would definitely cause them to put on the hockey mask and get out the chain saw.

On May 8th I had a rather massive heart attack, and on May 15th I had another "heart incident", making it impossible for me to travel to two conferences and a meeting.  Within two days of the first heart attack I communicated the issue with all organizers and I arranged to participate in each event via video conference.

What I consider unforgivable is when a speaker simply does not "show up", with no notice or explanation, but that is another story...

Bottom line:

o Avoid "major things" as best you can before setting venue and dates
o Forget about it afterwards, the damage is done
o A list of "nearby" events is nice, but "not your job"
o Speakers should help non-profits like yours to keep travel expenses as low as possible, but do not count on it.

Warmest regards,

maddog

> Trying to avoid all of them, or even attempting it, is a recipe for madness.

Indeed, you could choose any day and at least 12 high profile people
will have an additional interest that might conflict.

Tracking them might be useful though, because travelers might be able to
attend additional events close to (time wise and distance wise) to
DebConf. Might also make it easier to tell your boss "Oh sorry I can't
attend SomeConf™ this year because I already know DebConf is that week" :p

-Jonathan