Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-announce] Proposing speakers for DebConf17

All,

Missing from that list are the number of Linux Fests and other other "Linux and Foss events" around the world (Ohio Linux Fest, Northwestern Linux Fest, Southern California Linux Enthusiasts (SCALE), Cheminitzer LinuxTAG and others).

Some of those events are not Free Software or even Open Source specific, and so it is unlikely that overlapping events are going to hurt Debconf attendance.  Other events are always planned so close to the event, within a one-year (or even three-month) planning cycle, that trying to plan a Debconf around them is useless.  Depending on the size and venue (hotel, university, etc.) I have seen "events" planned in less than six months (some in less than three months).

Other events tend to either change their dates or be cancelled. I am working with an event that is expecting 4000 people, but which has been "delayed" for more than a year....this time I *think* it is going to happen.

I suggest you pick a number of events that you consider crucial to avoid, along with major religious holidays and school vacation periods, and considering off-season venue prices, and just go with that.  Be active in contacting these "crucial" groups, and monitoring their websites up to the date you select the date for Debconf.  After that, ignore the issue for that year.  You are not going to fix it, and it will just hamper your planning.

Trying to avoid all of them, or even attempting it, is a recipe for madness.

Warmest regards from one who has been doing this for forty years.

maddog