Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:32 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
<dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:

> You could have the happy-with-photography lanyards be bright colors, and
> hand out dark or black lanyards for the people who have not opted into
> being photographed.

The issue, to me, is that you need bright colours for people who do
_not_ want to be photographed. Else, it will make it even harder to
avoid taking pictures of or to spot accidental shots of people who
don't want to be photographed after the fact.

> We know that all of the proposed solutions will not solve the problem
> for everyone, and that people who decide to not respect the requests of
> other people will be able to violate the rules anyway.

That is a social problem, so technical solutions won't work anyway.
Social solutions like approaching people and talking to them about
respecting the wishes of others, however...

> But (a) providing differentiable lanyards; (b) setting one of the
> hackrooms off-limits to all cameras; and (c) designating a section of
> talk rooms where people can be without being filmed or photographed (and
> letting them ask questions from that location without being filmed
> instead of excluding them from the interaction) seem like very decent
> and reasonable steps to take toward respecting each other and our
> different needs and desires.  Let's do them, even though they won't fix
> everything.

Aye.

Richard