Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:

> I would like to ask to remove the "Do not photograph me" checkbox in
> Debconf registration form as we do not really have a technology to
> implement that.

As someone who checked that option (mainly in solidarity with privacy
conscious DebConf attendees I've met over the years), I agree it is
quite pointless.

In practice, the attendees I'm thinking of watched talks from outside
rooms and didn't participate in discussions. One attendee I spoke to
had adverse consequences due to be photographed and identified in a
photo. I don't remember the details and wouldn't mention them here
anyway.

> As an alternative I propose setting up guidelines on which zones in
> the conference will be "photo-free" so that people that do not want to
> be in pictures can avoid them. For example, hacklabs can be photo free
> (we just need a few shots of people working in them for the whole
> conference) and there is no reason to explicitly photograph back rows
> of auditoriums, also for cafeteria we only need a couple photos and
> the rest of the time that can be photo free as well.

I have often thought photography-acceptable zones (aka a whitelist of
photographable locations) would be the right way to go for DebConf.

The photo-free zones you mention here seem appropriate.

> You should expect to be photographed if: you are a speaker, you ask a
> question, you sit in front rows, you are having an animated discussion
> or a hack session in the hallways, you are on the daytrip (near me),
> you are at the cheese and wine party, formal dinner or group photo.

I think we should give speakers the option (want no recording, want
only be audio recorded, want recorded on video+audio or don't mind
either way). We can make that choice more obvious to attendees and
photographers by putting up notices on the doors and next to the
speakers.

I think we should have photo-free zones where people can still ask
questions during talks. Part of that might just be only photographing
people who stand while asking questions, but probably also the rear of
talk rooms.

I guess it is indeed hard to not photograph people sitting near a
speaker who doesn't mind being photographed, you could crop them out
after the fact though.

Animated discussion or hack sessions don't seem like things that need
to be photographed, but perhaps photographers could ask the group in
question before doing so.

The daytrip might be hard to accommodate folks who prefer not to be
photographed in.

The C&W party and dinner could possibly be handled by asking for permission.

> At any point before, during or after a photo is taken, any person in
> the photo can ask for the photo to be removed or their identity
> concealed.

Given the DebConf Code of Conduct, having that option seems very much necessary.

http://debconf.org/codeofconduct.shtml

> I believe that this is a reasonable middle ground, but I would like to
> hear feedback on this from people who did/do not want to be
> photographed at Debconf.

Fairly reasonable yes.

> Having a list of names of people not to be photographed simply can not work

Agreed.

--
bye,
pabs