Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:26 AM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

> so why do have children "more rights" than other attendees? (and don't get me
> wrong, I fully support that

Both socially and legally speaking, the concept of parents/guardians
exists for the very reason that children need more protection than
adults.

> - just think about the question... for me the
> conclusion was+is: nobody should be photographed without their explicit
> consent.)
>
> Another solution to the "don't photograph me^w^wviolate privacy" dilemma could
> be that photos could only be taken between 1300-1400 each day, plus the first
> 5m of every talk... IOW: make the default photo free.
>
> Which I think is actually sensible for all areas - except maybe talks + other
> events. But in hallways & hacklabs & everywhere else the rule should be: don't
> take pictures of people withour their prior consent.
>
> Which I understand is not the case in most areas outside DebConf, but noone
> said we couldn't do better then what's usual ;)

I know what you are getting at and I personally don't like to have my
picture taken lightly either, but... is this even remotely realistic
and/or enforceable? As Aigars points out, that will lose a _lot_ of
good photo ops. I will make "in action" photographs more or less
impossible which, to me, would be a shame.

Richard