Re: [Debconf-discuss] Zagreb <--> Banja Luka

Hi Ian,

On Montag, 16. Mai 2011, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I would have therefore hoped that the Debconf local team would have
> provided comprehensive information, answering these kinds of
> questions.

/me too.

> However, I'm sorry to say, that this has not been the case.

Yeah :(

> Specific questions like "are there buses from Banja Luka to Okucani on
> such and such a date and such and such a time" have gone unanswered.
>
> Most of the information we need about local travel cannot be found on
> the Internet in general, and the wiki is badly organised and not
> particularly authoritative.

True.

> And when questions were asked here we should have not had replies of
> the form "don't worry".  We should have had replies of the form
> "Thanks for your question.  I have updated the wiki at <url> with
> the answer; please let me know if there's anything else you need".

Amen.

> Ideally we would have had this two months ago.

Yes.

It sucks, I know, and I'm sorry for it. (Even though I dont consider myself
responsible for it.) I tried to make the localteam give better answers, but
after trying several times, I dunno what else I can do.

(For example) Today we had a quite useless discussion about maps on the irc
channel. Useless, because we had the exact same discussion we had today
already some months ago. With the same result. ("We cannot use nonfree maps".)

So again, we've running in stupid circles again, while important stuff still
hasnt been done. (ie instead of doing those maps it would be way more
important to finalize those busses as Phil and others have  suggested. Or we
could prepare the travel+sponsorship decissions, which we'll need to make in
three days....)

It sucks. Plain and simple.

I've even stopped complaining (or milder, to point out such problems), as its
also useless and a waste of my time.

I'm sorry. If the localteam doesnt do its jobs properly, organizing debconf is
really really hard.

OTOH, I'm still sure DebConf11 will happen and will be a success. I'm also
sure we will have more suffering and useless work/action and discussions.
("Don't worry, we'll only have slights problems.")

I'm not so sure how to effectivly prevent that in the future and frankly and
as said, I dont think we can fix this for DebConf11 anymore. WYSIWYG.

cheers,
	Holger