Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship BoF: minutes

Ana Guerrero dijo [Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 03:47:46PM +0200]:
> (...)
> Traditionally, we have not known if we have money for travel sponsorship very
> close to debconf dates, so people has paid very expensive tickets. One of many
> complains was: if I would have known this at least 1 month ago I could have bought
> cheaper tickets.
> In every debconf, the first goal has been being able to pay food and lodging,
> and they if there is enought money, then give travel sponsorship.
> The situation has been always complex because the relationship between DebConf
> and Debian in several ways (one of them being money) is not clear. There
> is a discussion about this pending, but we can solve the points above
> independently of the outcome of that discussion.

Thanks for bringing this up. And yes, this year we were not certain we
would be able to cover food and lodging - in fact, some people were
turned down for sponsored food and lodging because it was too
tight. And we were requested by some people to reconsider that
decisition early during the conference (I know of at least two people
that asked me), and TTBOMK we said that, save for very exceptional
circumstances, we would not change our decisions, as it would create a
very unhealthy precedent (i.e. others would start requesting changes
as well).