Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship BoF: minutes

Hi MJ,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>> In every debconf, the first goal has been being able to pay food and lodging,
>> and they if there is enought money, then give travel sponsorship.
>
> This is news to me!  I think back when I applied, I applied for only
> travel sponsorship because food is a smaller cost and I wasn't
> confident that the sponsored food would meet my dietary requirements.
> I wonder if that counted against me.
>
> I didn't see this priority stated clearly on
> http://debconf10.debconf.org/register.xhtml
> - did I overlook it?
>
> It looks like food and lodging sponsorship has a relatively early
> application closing date, again causing applicants ethical concerns:
> do they apply for sponsorship and risk denying someone else a place if
> they cannot obtain sufficient travel funding.  I think they won't even
> have heard about debconf's travel sponsorships by the time they have
> to apply for food+lodging?
>
> Intuitively, it seems like one would worry about getting to the
> conference, then worry about somewhere to stay, then worry about food.
> If it's being done in another order, a little explicit guidance would
> go a long way.

Thanks for contributing to this discussion, a fresh point of view
always helps and hopefully you can join in a later time when we move
to make actual changes and improvements. Hope you stick around :-)

I think you misunderstood the above comment about DebConf priorities,
because they are stated from the point of view of the Orga Team and
more specifically fundraising and budget. From that point of view, the
Orga Team cares more about making sure it has the funds to provide
shelter and nourishment to the attendees.

It makes a lot of sense that the attendees point of view will be the
opposite: they care more about how to get to the venue (and secure
vacation days, work leave permits, etc) than what to eat or where to
stay.

By the way, offering to pay for your food wouldn't had hurt you for
DebConf-nyc. It might even had helped you, depending on the reviewer
(and the "depending on the reviewer" is among the things we are trying
to fix, with your help and others).

Thanks!

Pablo