Re: [Debconf-discuss] Walk on G. Washington Bridge tonight

Quoting Christian PERRIER (bubulle@debian.org):
> I plan to go and check whether the night view on Manhattan from
> Georges Washington Bridge (over Hudson River, north of our current
> location) is something that's worth a small walk.

I think that the dozen people who came will agree it was worth it. The
view on Manhattan by night is great and the bridge height is even more
impressive by night. The full trip there was about 1h30 without
hurrying.

More precise information for getting there follows, as the bridge
walkway entrance is not very obvious to find.

Take train 1 Uptown and leave it at 181th St. (and not 175th as I
previously wrote: 175th is on line A).

At the subway exit, follow St-Nicholas Av. South up to 178th St., then
turn right in 178St. Follow it westward for 5 blocks and follow the
signs for the bridge side walkway. Don't worry about apparently going
slightly down a little. At some point, the walkway entrance will be a
1.5m-wide gate on your left. The path from there allows you to climb
it up to the bridge and walk along it.

To get the best view, I'd recommend going past the first bridge tower
(the security guard may mention you that you shouldn't make pictures
of the bridge structure....weird). Then enjoy.

I'd recommend not going there alone by night in case you don't feel
safe in not-so-touristic neighbourhood. Going there as a group a 5-10
people is fine (at least all of us survived).

A slightly shorter walk but probably longer journey involves taking
train 1 to 168th, then switch to A up to 175th. Then head Fort
Wahington Ave. north up to 178th, turn left and...see above.

Please notice that line 1 trains may sometimes NOT stop at 181th
St. when coming from Downtown. Pay attention to announcements in the
trains.