Re: [Debconf-discuss] Walk on G. Washington Bridge tonight

Christian Perrier wrote:

> I think that the dozen people who came will agree it was worth it. The
> view on Manhattan by night is great and the bridge height is even more
> impressive by night. The full trip there was about 1h30 without
> hurrying.

Nice, I would have loved to come if I could. I've crossed the GW Bridge
(by car) way too many times in my life to travel to and from home. I
still think the bridge itself is one of the most beautiful bridges,
let alone the view. It's also apparently the world's busiest bridge.

For anyone else who goes there, try to spot (or visit) the little red
lighthouse.[1]

> To get the best view, I'd recommend going past the first bridge tower
> (the security guard may mention you that you shouldn't make pictures
> of the bridge structure....weird). Then enjoy.

GW Bridge is owned by the Port Authority, a strange public agency of
New York and New Jersey that is funded entirely privately (e.g.,
tolls). They like to think of themselves as a private company with a
no-photo rule on/of their property, unless you have prior permission
and an escort.

So while there is no law that says you can't take photos of the bridge,
they have a rule much like a museum might. Except they do it for
bizarre reasons like controlling their image, your safety (so you don't
get hit by a car), and (supposedly) recently for security reasons (bad
people planning bad things using your photos).

Now, if you take photos as a tourist, I really don't think they would
care, but IANAL.

On a related note, you might find an article about the MTA (New York
public transportation agency) interesting.[2]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Red_Lighthouse
[2] http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/nyregion/18about.html