Re: [Debconf-discuss] Last call for keys for keysigning in New York City, USA during DebConf10

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:04:19 -0700, Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> wrote:
> On ma, 2010-07-19 at 23:37 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> > RSA keys of 2048-bits or longer are recommended, with
> > self-certifications using SHA-256 or stronger.  More detailed
> > recommendations can be found here:
> >
> >  https://we.riseup.net/riseuplabs+paow/openpgp-best-practices#openpgp-key-checks
>
> From the web page:
>
>         self-signatures must not use MD5
>
>         You can check this by doing:
>
>         gpg --export-options export-minimal --export <keyid> | gpg
>         --list-packets |grep -A 2 signature|grep 'digest algo 1,'
>
> This is not very explicit about what the output should be, or what lack
> of output does. I'd extrapolate from the rest of the page and from what
> I know about Unix command line use, but I've found gpg to be rather hard
> to use right, and even harder to be confident about.

Can't argue there. You are right that this isn't obvious unless you are
a Unix head. I'll add a little more info about this.

> Is there an actual "gpg lint" kind of tool anywhere? I _think_ I made a
> sufficiently good key last year, but I am not certain about it, and it
> is possible the above MD5 test is failing.

dkg proposed such a tool to do such a thing[0] but got only a luke-warm
reply, and it has not been implemented.

> Failing that, are there instructions for creating a new key?

Sure, I think Ana's[1] page about this is a good set of instructions.

micah

0. http://www.imc.org/ietf-openpgp/mail-archive/msg34211.html
1. http://ekaia.org/blog/2009/05/10/creating-new-gpgkey/