Re: [Debconf-discuss] Last call for keys for keysigning in New York City, USA during DebConf10

Hi John--

On 07/19/2010 11:14 PM, John Goerzen wrote:
> I would like to participate in the keysigning, but I am confused about
> thie "cross sign your keys" bit.  What is this second key I should be
> using and why?

We're hoping to have a solid post-SHA1 web-of-trust before a functional
attack on that digest algorithm surfaces.  The algorithm is already
known to be significantly weaker than its mathematical ideal and
collision attacks are arguably within reach of well-funded organizations.

In addition to the digest algorithms, we're hoping to see primary key
lengths of reasonable size.  Your current key (afaict) is a 1024-bit DSA
key, which by definition relies on SHA-1.

RSA keys of 2048-bits or longer are recommended, with
self-certifications using SHA-256 or stronger.  More detailed
recommendations can be found here:

 https://we.riseup.net/riseuplabs+paow/openpgp-best-practices#openpgp-key-checks

If you do decide to make a new primary key, you can sign it with your
old key.

hth,

	--dkg