[Debconf-discuss] Yet Another Cheese Party

As all Debconfs since Debconf5, Debconf10 will feature a social event
based on cheese.

That event is traditionnally named "Cheese and Wine party". The
schedule is not completely secured, but we expect it to happen either
on Aug. 2nd (Monday) or Aug. 3rd (Tuesday), after dinner.

Still, as usual, the event is first meant to share as many cheese from
the world as people, accompanied by some wine. It also happens that
"some" people bring other various liquids from their country, most of
these containing various amounts of ethanol. Let's call this a side
effect.

The main point of the even is about *sharing*. It means that
participants are expected to try bringing "material" for the party:
most of the time cheese from your
country/state/region/village/canton/province/kolkhoze/community/etc. but
often wine or, indeed, any other "very good stuff that can be eaten
and is typical from your place".

Of course, this is Debian: nobody will force you to bring something in
order to participate. That may be difficult for some people, or even
impossible...but, at least, *try* to do it!

Debconf being held in the United States of America, where import
regulations have the reputation to be fairly strict, some of you might
be scared by bringing stinking, smelly and improbable milk
derivative....and have to leave it at customs in ${airport}.

From investigations we made up to now, importation of cheese in USA is
not strictly forbidden but sometimes restricted for some varieties of
cheese. The most accurate indication we could find was about cured and
half cured cheese being allowed while non cured cheese (such as
cottage cheese) being prohibited.

Apparently, in en_US, "half-cured" means something along the line of
French camembert and cured is meant for about any cheese that's
"hard". So, it's not really about age, but about "hardness".

Official documents we found (thanks to Jimmy Kaplowitz who did some
investigation) didn't mention whether "pasteurized/unpasteurized"
status is important or not. Of course, pasteurized cheese is a sin but
I'd recommend having the word printed on the cheese box, in order to
be sure.

As example for cheese lovers, here are French cheese I can think about
bringing:

Rocamadour, Morbier, Brie de Meaux, Trappe d'Echourgnac, Brocciu,
Picodon, Tomme de Savoie, Reblochon, Cantal, Ossau-Iraty..and of course a
Pouligny-St-Pierre and a Camembert

Some I would *not* bring:
Maroilles, Vieux Lille, Neufchatel, Cancoillote, Cabécou, Bleu
d'Auvergne...

(hint for French cheese names:
'zgrep -i -E "The.*release" /usr/share/doc/passwd/changelog.Debian.gz')

So, please think about it. You *can* bring something. And, yes,
there's room for that in your suitcase. Just drop 1 or 2 t-shirts and
all these neat electronic gadgets you think you need....and make room
for a box of "good stuff".

This year, and following a recent discussion in one of Debian mailing
list, a side event of C&W will be a "your beer is better than mine"
party. In short, along with cheese and hopefully wine from your place,
it's not forbidden to bring some good beer that you think would
qualify in a beer contest.

This is indeed a special challenge for citizens of United States of
America who have to convince the rest of the world that, no, not every
US beer tastes like Budweiser. So, well, remove 1 or 2 more t-shirts,
or bring a larger suitcase|backpack and make room for a good beer!

We will manage to find a place to store material even for those of you
who come early, for Debcamp. Not being able to find a fridge in USA
would be a shame, right?

This year, DC10 organizers even contacted me in advance about the C&W
and we are already planning logisitics for it: location, material such
as plates, tables, knives, corkscrews, etc. Specific thanks to
Michelle Lynn Hall who is already counting and planning stuff over
there along with Richard Darst.

So, in short, please think about what you could bring over there as
you consider packing your stuff. Debconf^H^H^H^HCamp starts in a
little bit more than 2 weeks, so it is time!
I'm definitely sure that one will be  legen...wait for it...dary!

A still generic wiki page already exists at
http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/CheeseWineBoF

I'll enhance it in the upcoming days. Of course, please feel free to
help in maintaining it. For instance, "registering" yourself there, if
you intend to bring something will help me in figuring out if I have
to enter panic mode or if we have enough stuff for a good party.