Re: [Debconf-discuss] Yet Another Cheese Party

Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> From investigations we made up to now, importation of cheese in USA is
> not strictly forbidden but sometimes restricted for some varieties of
> cheese. The most accurate indication we could find was about cured and
> half cured cheese being allowed while non cured cheese (such as cottage
> cheese) being prohibited.

> Apparently, in en_US, "half-cured" means something along the line of
> French camembert and cured is meant for about any cheese that's
> "hard". So, it's not really about age, but about "hardness".

> Official documents we found (thanks to Jimmy Kaplowitz who did some
> investigation) didn't mention whether "pasteurized/unpasteurized" status
> is important or not. Of course, pasteurized cheese is a sin but I'd
> recommend having the word printed on the cheese box, in order to be
> sure.

I don't know whether this is reflected in the import regulations, but the
US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) requirement for cheese is that any
cheese aged for less than six months must be made from pasteurized milk.
It sounds like the import restrictions are a bit different given that you
mentioned above that it's about hardness rather than age, but that may
help on at least drawing a line around which cheeses might cause problems
in customs.