Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf10 to take place in New York City, USA

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:14:14PM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> In the US, you'd generally pay sales tax, and that's much lower than
> European VAT. It also applies only to the final sale to the consumer and
> not at every stage in the production process, which helps make prices
> lower overall. In NYC the sales tax is 8.375%, and that's considered high
> by US standards. It's indicated explicitly on the receipt, so if Europe
> subtracts foreign consumption taxes against European VAT, you'll have the
> numbers and proof to do that. I don't know if that applies, but that's
> European and not US policy.

Furthermore, sales tax is levied on a per-state (and per-county, and
per-municipality) basis - they don't make exceptions for visitors from other
states, and they don't make exceptions for visitors from other countries
either.

(Hmm, will have to make sure to mention in the Portland DC12 bid that Oregon
has no sales tax)

> though certain convenience/food stores include the tax in the price for
> efficiency's sake.

Heh, must be a New York thing.