Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf10 to take place in New York City, USA

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 06:35:25PM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> [*] I am still wondering, though, if one would need to pay VAT for such
> things in the US, if that could be exempted and what the process for
> that is.

In the US, you'd generally pay sales tax, and that's much lower than European
VAT. It also applies only to the final sale to the consumer and not at every
stage in the production process, which helps make prices lower overall. In NYC
the sales tax is 8.375%, and that's considered high by US standards. It's
indicated explicitly on the receipt, so if Europe subtracts foreign consumption
taxes against European VAT, you'll have the numbers and proof to do that. I
don't know if that applies, but that's European and not US policy.  Also, in
the US, sales tax is usually added on top of the advertised price instead of
included in it, though certain convenience/food stores include the tax in the
price for efficiency's sake.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org