Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: [Debconf-announce] DebConf7 registration/sponsorship/CFP deadline

Quoting Holger Levsen (debian@layer-acht.org):
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 30 January 2007 12:05, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Does this mean that the deadlines were set to help plane travellers
> > and without considering land travellers, or have I misunderstood?
>
> Yes, you misunderstood. The deadlines are set for people needing visas. Most
> countries requiering visas to the UK are not a easy train journey away and
> Debian is not a european project. (Think ship from japan to china, then
> transsibirean to Moscow, then train from there to Paris, then, LOL. Same for
> people from america - ships take around 10 days to cross the atlantic.)

Apparently, as MJ has been misleaded, that could mean that other
people could also have the same understanding than his. That could
maybe deserve a minor correction to explain that the deadline for
registration of sponsorship is different from a deadline for
registration.

About the problem of land travel schedules and fares not being known
at the moment the sponsorship requests are closed, one could suggest
to people who consider land travelling to try figuring out what would
be the costs for their travel by trying to book a similar traval as
far possible in the future (say, two month ahead).

That wouldn't certainly be as precise as the exact costs (yield
management, for trains, can probably hit hard) but that certainly
gives a rough idea.

And, to answer your indirect question about "fly or ride by train",
MJ, I'm afraid that the current costs of train travels in UK are
pretty likely to make the trip far from being competitive. That's a
shame, definitely, but that's also a sad reality. Admitedly, I haven't
checked so I would be delighted to be proven wrong.