Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: [Debconf-announce] DebConf7 registration/sponsorship/CFP deadline

Holger Levsen <debian@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 January 2007 02:39, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Why is event registration closing two months before advance purchase
> > rail tickets go on sale?
>
> ..I completly fail to see why this would be a problem (if it would be true, as
> Moray pointed out..):

If it is not true, why post an announcement with
* Deadline for sponsorship: Wednesday 31 January
* Deadline for event submission: Wednesday 31 January
?

> you can register now, set days and buy the tickets
> today or in three months. Where's the problem?

The problem is that people are being asked to submit their travel
costs, but land travel costs will not be known until the tickets go on
sale.

So far, I've found only one arrival operator selling tickets this far
in advance and they're slower, less convenient and more expensive than
others IMO. Land travellers could submit the current full list prices
plus a guess at the maximum price increase, but then they may get
cheaper tickets and Debconf will have sponsored fewer people than it
could have.  That would be a shame.

This all seems designed to fund air travel, which is also shameful.

> (And we close registration for sponsorship request tomorrow, so those people
> who need a visa and buy a plane ticket well in advance because they come from
> far, get to know early if they get sponsorship, so that they can buy the
> ticket well in advance, to get cheaper ones.)

Does this mean that the deadlines were set to help plane travellers
and without considering land travellers, or have I misunderstood?

> And regarding little information about getting to debconf7 by rail: patches
> welcome! :) Sadly most railway-timetable/ticket-systems dont work well
> accross borders...

Do budget airline timetables/ticket systems work together now?  That
wasn't the case when I last flew.

At least for railways, bahn.de will do cross-border schedules from
Europe, but only once the UK schedules are confirmed (usually 12 weeks
ahead, same as advance ticket sales). I think there's an international
coach search too, but I don't remember it just now.

The debconf site seems to be using mediawiki.  I'll install mvs Real
Soon Now, unless there is some way of sending patches?

Please cc me on replies.

Thanks,
--
MJR/slef