Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: [Debconf-announce] DebConf7 registration/sponsorship/CFP deadline

MJ Ray dijo [Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 11:05:13AM +0000]:
> So far, I've found only one arrival operator selling tickets this far
> in advance and they're slower, less convenient and more expensive than
> others IMO. Land travellers could submit the current full list prices
> plus a guess at the maximum price increase, but then they may get
> cheaper tickets and Debconf will have sponsored fewer people than it
> could have.  That would be a shame.
>
> This all seems designed to fund air travel, which is also shameful.

Hmh... Well, you don't need to have your ticket in your hands in order
to ask for sponsorship - i.e. I requested sponsorship as well, but I
have not yet bought mine. Of course, it will go up/down a few dollars,
which I'll probably end up absorbing if it's up, or not using if it's
down, but I have a rough estimate. FWIW, at Debconf 6, many people
requested more money than what their ticket was finally worth - and,
of course, were given less money than what they originally requested.

Regarding air travel: My personal rule is to go by land if it is up to
a 8 hour journey, and fly otherwise (if possible). Although there are
quite a lot DDs and Debian enthusiasts in the UK, the bulk of the
attendees will arrive from much farther than Northern France - And,
want it or not, air travel will be the prevalent way of getting there.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23