Re: [Debconf-discuss] Talk != BOF

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 09:17:10AM +0200, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) [060611 00:03]:
> > (Or even,
> > IMHO, in whether they should be given travel sponsorship.)

> there are very few people who got money purely because they were
> presenting. From the top of my head i can only think of one. Why
> that person asked for travel sponsorship i cant tell. This goes
> into the area of person information and speculation.

> otherwise speakers were treated just as normal attendees who
> asked for travel support and who got a priority treatment because
> we wanted to do our part in making sure that they could appear to
> deliver their talk. This being part in "making sure the public
> part of the conference can take place before supporting
> individuals". Your assumption of "you get money for speaking" is
> not correct.

I didn't make any assumptions here, it was Holger who posted suggesting that
one of the differences between talks and presentations for next year might
be sponsorship.  (I assumed that he meant *prioritization* of sponsorship,
though he didn't say.)

> the question of where to ask for a paper and where not were not
> really answered, i felt.

Oh, I thought I made my opinion clear that asking for papers is always fine,
but that they shouldn't be required. :)