Re: Discussing problems at DebConf

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 03:10:48PM +0300, Tero Kuusela wrote:
> I realise I'm somewhat of an outsider here, but have you considered that
> this discussion could be a lot more constructive if you would use a more
> advanced method than the regular fairly free-from discussion?
>
> As an example, I attended a meeting on behalf of Linux-Aktivaattori
> where we discussed the problems regarding the localisation efforts in
> Finland and tried to find some good solutions. There a person used a
> method called "tuplatiimi" (double-team would be the exact translation,
> this method is developed and mostly used in Finland, AFAIK). It proved
> very effective, in my opinion, and greatly alleviated the risk of
> conflicts between groups/people/opinions. Naturally, there are many such
> methods and the one to use should be decided based on each individual
> situation.
>
> The thing is, something like that would, AIUI, pretty much require to
> have someone from outside of the insider group to pull it through - and
> someone with some knowledge and experience with such methods. If this
> had been brought up earlier, I could've arranged a person to do it, but
> finding one on a short notice could prove hard.
>
> I could try, though, if there is interest in using something like this.

As promised, I've been calling around about this. I found out that the
same person who held that thing I was in is very interested to hold such
a session about this during Debconf :)

Unfortunately, arranging it isn't that simple. He has just begun his
holiday and naturally made plans for it. However, he will try to see if
he could fit this in his schedule and also ask from some people he knows
if they could come in case he can't. I'll be hearing more tomorrow, I
promised to call him after I have arrived to Helsinki (around midday).

If we were to do this, it would pretty much have to happen according to
his schedule, since he can't really pick the times very freely. He also
suggested that having a group of 10-20 people participate in this would
be the optimal number, but it's possible to adjust the methods so there
can be some more participants.

So the bottom line is, this could very well happen. I hope there's
enough interest in this, since our experiences with this have been
excellent in solving problems without getting too emotional.

--
Tero Kuusela
vpj, Turuxi-vastaava

"Now is the time for all good men to come to."