Re: Discussing problems at DebConf

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:44:07PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> IMHO, these topics are to hard to discuss over some glasses of beer with
> random people.  We need a reasonable number of people who have thought
> about these problems and might develop solutions.  This has to happen
> in a quiet atmosphere and we should stick to a certain agenda.  I'm
> absolutely convinced that the DPL team should belong to this group of
> people (not *because* they are the DPL team but because I regard every
> single person in the team as competent).  If they think they can work
> out something without additional people - it's fine for me.  I'm not
> keen on bothering people with my personal opinion in such discussions.
> If the result is a set of answers to some of the problems above written
> down in a freely accessible place - its perfectly all right for me.
>
> But silence is not the way to work on problems - at least not for a
> larger time scale.

I realise I'm somewhat of an outsider here, but have you considered that
this discussion could be a lot more constructive if you would use a more
advanced method than the regular fairly free-from discussion?

As an example, I attended a meeting on behalf of Linux-Aktivaattori
where we discussed the problems regarding the localisation efforts in
Finland and tried to find some good solutions. There a person used a
method called "tuplatiimi" (double-team would be the exact translation,
this method is developed and mostly used in Finland, AFAIK). It proved
very effective, in my opinion, and greatly alleviated the risk of
conflicts between groups/people/opinions. Naturally, there are many such
methods and the one to use should be decided based on each individual
situation.

The thing is, something like that would, AIUI, pretty much require to
have someone from outside of the insider group to pull it through - and
someone with some knowledge and experience with such methods. If this
had been brought up earlier, I could've arranged a person to do it, but
finding one on a short notice could prove hard.

I could try, though, if there is interest in using something like this.

--
Tero Kuusela
vpj, Turuxi-vastaava

"Forgive many things in others; nothing in yourself."