Re: What do you look for in your accomodation? a survey

PLEASE, WHEN WRITTEN "you", READ "you as anyone".

This message is not addressed to anyone in particular.

> Though it is true that people need to be there by choice for a
> sucessfull comunity, I consider it still a good idea to make the choice
> easy to stay in the same place by improving the conditions.

Porto Alegre raised the bar too high, for some people.

In Olso, we had a gym, where privacy needed to be found in the toilets or by
staying late at night. We had a 25min walk to the place where we could do some
community hacking, with some chairs and tables and computers. Yet people
attended and the ones who did not want to stay and sleep on the floor went to
stay in a hotel.

Now we have a complete building where some beds are going to be installed (not
for us, although we will take advantage of them and use them), the rooms will
have its own key, people will be able to request some privacy to the people
sleeping in the same room, we will have a hacklab for the 2 weeks 5min away
from the building, food 5min away from the building and the conference area
10min away from the dormitory. Yet people need a bed.

Well, in some cases, rooms where 4 people can sleep in, cannot hold 4 beds.
And people can do turns in the rooms (unless medical reasons apply).

I have collected some 5 or 6 mattresses to lend to some developers, and I
believe we can manage with some more provided by locals, people bringing
inflatable ones and IKEA.

But of course, no one can force you to sleep on the floor. Nor we can force
you to come.

--
Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.6.10|Helsinki Finland

The world doesn't just disappear when you close your eyes, does it?
		--Leonard Shelby (Memento)