Re: [Debconf-team] Q for Cape Town bid: attendees safety outside the venue

On 2014-12-19 22:43, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
Right, there have been many times we have asked people to "be
aware".

As you say, we had no major issues in the locations you listed. However, there was also a large degree of self-selection of attendees for some of them, with some people who attended in other years being discouraged by places' reputation as well as by travel times.

My suspicion is that the ones who are willing to travel to locations with the reputation of being dangerous are also the ones who are on average more capable of emerging from them safely. Still, we haven't completely avoided problems; I remember a few people having bad experiences in Managua, for example, mostly when they were obviously carrying expensive phones or laptops as is rather normal for DebConf attendees (whatever advice we give).

--
Moray