Re: [Debconf-team] Q for Cape Town bid: attendees safety outside the venue

On 19/12/2014 10:15, Stefano Rivera wrote:
> We wouldn't need to do that.
>
> We just need to remind people to be aware that they are in a country
> with a lot of crime. They'll almost certainly be fine, anywhere in the
> city.

It's pretty much the same as walking around in any big city. If you're
going to walk around with a big camera around your neck and a wallet
half-way hanging out of your pocket and you don't pay attention, you
make yourself a target to get pick pocketed. This is just as much true
in London, Paris, New York, Montréal and pretty much every other big
city in the western world.

If visitors practice some basic sense (ie: not walk around alone late at
night flashing lots of expensive jewelry), then they should be just fine.

-Jonathan