Re: Announcing mkisofs 1.13

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 21:55, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 09:26:33PM +0100, Mario Đanić wrote:
>> > I'm considering appliing for GSoC under the GNU umbrella this summer to get
>> > UDF kicked out.  The ideal would be if someone who's got good understanding
>> > of this standard will be interested in mentoring this project.
>>
>> While I really can't promise much this year, if I can be of any help
>> with this I will try. I don't have a thorough understanding of the UDF
>> standard, but know a bit or two about it because I studied it when I
>> wrote an enchantment ticket against new libisofs we were designing.
>
> Hi Mario!
>
> Thanks for your offer, it's very kind of you.  I'm not sure if you've been
> a mentor in GSoC before, but it's not a tough task IMO and you get a nice
> tshirt! ;-)

Both a mentor and a student, and an unofficial admin (reading all
applications, and ranking them *sigh*). Being part of the program is
very rewarding, and subsequently its a great privilege to work with a
great student.

>> Also, I'd encourage working on UDF inside libisofs and eventual
>> genisofs (CLI-compatible mkisofs-alike tool based on libisofs, but
>> that's probably a long shot because you seem to want mkisofs :)
>
> What is libisofs main purpose?  Is it meant to be used by filesystem code in
> OS kernels, by some specific class of applications... ?

Lemme do some c/p:

libisofs is a library to create an ISO-9660 filesystem with extensions
like RockRidge or Joliet. It is also a full featured ISO-9660 editor,
allowing you to modify an ISO image or multisession disc, including
file addition/removal, change of file names and attributes, etc.

libisofs supports the extension AAIP which allows to store ACLs and
xattr in ISO-9660 filesystems. If linked with zlib then it supports
zisofs compression which is transparently uncompressed by some Linux
kernels. It is possible to have data file content compressed to gzip
format or to have it filtered by an external process.

So ummm, I'd say its supposed to be used for whatever fits the stated
purpose and feature-set? :)

Cheers,
Mario