Re: growisofs burns dvd successfully, but

Ingo Krabbe <ingo.krabbe@eoa.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 02:47:11PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Ingo Krabbe <ingo.krabbe@eoa.de> wrote:
> >
> > > As you recommended I changed my usage of growisofs/genisoimage into
> > > mkisofs/cdrecord.
> > >
> > I see no crash and everything is OK, you may verify this by e.g. calling:
>
> Yes you are right. This disk was recorded with mkisofs -dvd-video and actually
> works.  So maybe cdrecord isn't the problem after all, though reading the data
> from the dvd with readcd gives me an image I can mount with
>
> mount -oloop imgfile /mnt/image
>
> I would really like to fix this, as it seems to be possible to write dvd disks
> with cdrecord, but still it fails to write the toc without showing an error
> report.

If you still believe to have problems, please describe your problems in a way
that allows to understand them.

> -dvd-video seems to create a UDF Filesystem. It seems that the toc format of UDF
> is more stable, which leads me to the assumption that there might be a trick to
> get the iso9660 filesystem onto the dvd.  Otherwise I would have quit this
> topic, but I just can't see where my drive or any other component fails here.

There is no relation between "the TOC" and UDF. The TOC is something that is in
the low level hidden meta data of the medium and related to accessing the media
from a drive. UDF is a filesystem type that is required by DVD players and if
the medium is readable by the drive, it is only a matter of the higher level
code to deal with UDF.

> If there is really a failure that should be reported somewhere.

Then, there is no problem in cdrtools.

Your problem is located elsewhere, but without the apropriate information I
cannot give you more help that I did already give you.

> Anyway I think it would be helpfull if you give me a short hint about debug=#
> and kdebug=# numbers.

Sorry, why should I give hints on options that are intended to help me to debug
low level problems that are not related to your problem? If there was any
relation to your problem, you had been given the needed instructions.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)