Re: CDRecord proper dev specification w/2.6.x

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

It may be that you are just a victim of recent incompatible changes in the Linux
kernel. ----> Ask Linus Torvalds, he is personally responsible for these problems.

I think what was asked for was a solution, not an explanation why it
can't be done.

It seems that the best is to avoid a 2.6 kernel if possible.

Works fine for me on SuSE 9.2 (and on 9.1), 2.6 kernel, running cdrecord
as $USER (and /dev/hdX device addressing).

Have you tried multisession as a user? What I see is that I can write the first session just fine, but that the -msinfo option is not available as a user. When I asked about this on the kernel mailing list I was told I didn't have permissions on the drive, although the problem really is that even with read and write you must be root to use the SCSI command needed for -msinfo.

There seem to be three cases with the 2.6 kernel, assume the burner is on /dev/hdc:
- no command line options
- hdc=ide-scsi
- hdc=scsi

I'm not sure that the 1st and 3rd are identical in behaviour, and I'm not at a good place to reboot right now to see. I hope to try this in the next few hours.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc