Re: compare DVD and image

> I try to compare DVD with image after writing.
> readcd dev=0,1,0 f=cdimage.raw
> But size of cdimage.raw more than source image.
> Does anybody can explain me why?

The Linux kernel has forever (1.3.x) been unable to detect the end of
recording on CDs and DVDs. Consider yourself lucky if end-of-file on
/dev/dvdrom occurs *after* the actual end of recording.

> May be I need some other utility

Yes, the md5 script from my scriptutils package (on my website). It
still doesn't save you from the case when the kernel refuses to read all
the data - this regularly happens to me with CDs burnt on the other OS.
The workaround is to append several hundred kb (or 1MB to be sure) of
zeroes immediately following the image you're burning. The writecd
script (same place) will do this for you.

To verify a burnt image, it is faster to go via md5 sums as you then
don't have to read the data over your IDE channels twice at the same
time.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.