CDRecord proper dev specification w/2.6.x

Hello,

Everytime I use cdrecord under Linux 2.6 kernel and reference the drive by
the /dev/devid it responds with the following:

Cdrecord 2.00.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/sr0'
devname: '/dev/sr0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27

Under 2.4 series using the generic scsi device name I could use -scanbus to
report the devices.  But now it only reports errors with no usable
information reported.  In the above output, the scsibus:-2, etc. always
remains the same regardless of what device I use.

If I use: "cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus"  then it reports only the two
drives I have connected through firewire on scsibus0 and scsibus1.  It
doesn't report my PATA drive at all.  On my notebook the internal DVD
drive is a PATA drive also and it doesn't report it either.

So then, what is the proper way to discover/designate the drives under the
2.6 kernel without using the generic scsi interface?

Sorry that I am so dense that I am unable understand the man page.

Thank you,
James