Re: CDRecord proper dev specification w/2.6.x

James Finnall wrote:
On Monday 21 February 2005 05:17, Maik Zumstrull wrote:

Bill Davidsen wrote:

James Finnall wrote:

Everytime I use cdrecord under Linux 2.6 kernel and reference the
drive by the /dev/devid it responds with the following:

Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.

If I use: "cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus"  then it reports only the
two drives I have connected through firewire on scsibus0 and
scsibus1.  It doesn't report my PATA drive at all.

You appear to be running a stock cdrecord version, which complains
about write by device name, but works. If the message bothers you
there are modified versions which also will burn DVDs if you have the
hardware. I won't get into the reasons why this happens, Joerg wants
it to work that way. You can use ATA or ATAPI, but you don't get rid
of the warnings, so why bother?

1) Use ATA, not ATAPI. ATAPI uses a very old API with no DMA support.
2) Wenn using ATA, just do a cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus and you get
something like:

I just installed Slackware 10.1 on another machine yesterday and dev=ATA
works on it and reports the available drive.  It is using version 2.01.
My current machine is Slackware 10 and it uses version 2.00.3 and dev=ATA
doesn't work.  So it looks like it is best to upgrade the cdrecord.

My impression was that the newer releases would use -scanbus without any further arguments (no dev=ATA nor dev=ATAPI), that it would find the best configuration from the plain old -scanbus.  I could be confused.
Thank you for the assistance.
James