Re: CDRecord proper dev specification w/2.6.x

On Monday 21 February 2005 05:17, Maik Zumstrull wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > James Finnall wrote:
> > >Everytime I use cdrecord under Linux 2.6 kernel and reference the
> > > drive by the /dev/devid it responds with the following:
> > >
> > >Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
> > >
> > >If I use: "cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus"  then it reports only the
> > > two drives I have connected through firewire on scsibus0 and
> > > scsibus1.  It doesn't report my PATA drive at all.
> >
> > You appear to be running a stock cdrecord version, which complains
> > about write by device name, but works. If the message bothers you
> > there are modified versions which also will burn DVDs if you have the
> > hardware. I won't get into the reasons why this happens, Joerg wants
> > it to work that way. You can use ATA or ATAPI, but you don't get rid
> > of the warnings, so why bother?
>
> 1) Use ATA, not ATAPI. ATAPI uses a very old API with no DMA support.
> 2) Wenn using ATA, just do a cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus and you get
> something like:

I just installed Slackware 10.1 on another machine yesterday and dev=ATA
works on it and reports the available drive.  It is using version 2.01.
My current machine is Slackware 10 and it uses version 2.00.3 and dev=ATA
doesn't work.  So it looks like it is best to upgrade the cdrecord.

Thank you for the assistance.
James