Re: CDRecord proper dev specification w/2.6.x

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> James Finnall wrote:

> >Everytime I use cdrecord under Linux 2.6 kernel and reference the
> > drive by the /dev/devid it responds with the following:
> >
> >Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.

> >If I use: "cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus"  then it reports only the
> > two drives I have connected through firewire on scsibus0 and
> > scsibus1.  It doesn't report my PATA drive at all.

> You appear to be running a stock cdrecord version, which complains
> about write by device name, but works. If the message bothers you
> there are modified versions which also will burn DVDs if you have the
> hardware. I won't get into the reasons why this happens, Joerg wants
> it to work that way. You can use ATA or ATAPI, but you don't get rid
> of the warnings, so why bother?

1) Use ATA, not ATAPI. ATAPI uses a very old API with no DMA support.
2) Wenn using ATA, just do a cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus and you get
something like:

scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'HL-DT-ST' 'CD-RW GCE-8481B ' '1.05' Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) 'PIONEER ' 'DVD-RW  DVR-106D' '1.08' Removable CD-ROM
        1,2,0   102) *
  [...]

Now, just address the drive using the numerical bus ID:

cdrecord dev=ATA:1,1,0 -checkdrive

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.8-2-686
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root programs.
cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.
scsidev: 'ATA:1,1,0'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: 1 target: 1 lun: 0
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'PIONEER '
Identifikation : 'DVD-RW  DVR-106D'
Revision       : '1.08'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW support code.
cdrecord: See /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.DVD.Debian for details on DVD support.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R

Well, there still are tons of warnings, but I'm not
opening the device by devname, so that one disappears.