Re: CDRecord proper dev specification w/2.6.x

James Finnall wrote:

Hello,

Everytime I use cdrecord under Linux 2.6 kernel and reference the drive by the /dev/devid it responds with the following:

Cdrecord 2.00.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/sr0'
devname: '/dev/sr0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27

Under 2.4 series using the generic scsi device name I could use -scanbus to report the devices. But now it only reports errors with no usable information reported. In the above output, the scsibus:-2, etc. always remains the same regardless of what device I use.

If I use: "cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus" then it reports only the two drives I have connected through firewire on scsibus0 and scsibus1. It doesn't report my PATA drive at all. On my notebook the internal DVD drive is a PATA drive also and it doesn't report it either.

So then, what is the proper way to discover/designate the drives under the 2.6 kernel without using the generic scsi interface?

Sorry that I am so dense that I am unable understand the man page.
You appear to be running a stock cdrecord version, which complains about write by device name, but works. If the message bothers you there are modified versions which also will burn DVDs if you have the hardware. I won't get into the reasons why this happens, Joerg wants it to work that way. You can use ATA or ATAPI, but you don't get rid of the warnings, so why bother? Use the /dev/hdX interface for audio burning, it will do DMA instead of pio (which eats your CPU).

There still appears to be a bug in the kernel which blocks the "-msinfo" option from working as a normal user, regardless of permissions on the drive. This is deliberate and makes multi-session a problem.

Short answer, use the /dev/hdX name, it works better. You can make the device owned by a group, like burnCD, make yourself a member, and give group RW on the device. That makes burning as a user possible except multisession.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc