Re: Problem using a TEAC DV-W22E withdvd+rw-tools/cdrecord-prodvd/dvdrtools.

V ne, 11. 04. 2004 v 14:29, Julien Gabel píše:

> > dvd+rw-tools were teached to obtain sense information from kernel
> > manually, so they fully work on 5.2.1. cdrecord relies on working
> > autosense and thus don't work on 5.2.1.
>
> I already try to use "dvd+rw-tools" according to:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html
>
> But here is what I get:
>  # dvd+rw-format -force /dev/cd0
>  * DVD±RW format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.9.
>  :-( failed to locate "Quick Format" descriptor.
>  * 4.7GB DVD-RW media in Sequential mode detected.
>  * formatting |:-[ READ TRACK INFORMATION failed with SK=3h/ASC=11h/ACQ=05h]
>    :Input/output error
>
> Or:
>  # dvd+rw-format -blank=all /dev/cd0
>  * DVD±RW format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.9.
>  :-( failed to locate "Quick Format" descriptor.
>  * 4.7GB DVD-RW media in Sequential mode detected.
>  * blanking .:-[ READ TRACK INFORMATION failed with SK=3h/ASC=11h/ACQ=05h]
>    :Input/output error
>
> If I can understand the problem relating to the internal bug with the
> FreeBSD kernel (and not using cdrecord-proDVD), what may be wrong here?
> Am I missing something?

I'm not absolutely sure but I guess only growisofs accounts for the
kernel deficiency and not dvd+rw-format. Andy?

> > The help here is not easy. I'd suggest you to upgrade to -CURRENT, if
> > you're ready to face all the possible problem of running CVS code.
>
> ... not really. In this particular case: a choice between
>  FreeBSD-CURRENT + cdrecord-proDVD
> or
>  FreeBSD-5.2.1 + dvd+rw-tools
> I would prefer the second choice: staying with the OS release branch.
>
> > Other posibilities are running FreeBSD 4.x or avoid using cdrecord.
>
> Is there no chance to use FreeBSD-5.2.1 + dvd+rw-tools together?

You should really go to a working version of FreeBSD instead. Note that
you'll hit this problem on CD-R too, and dvd+rw-tools don't do CD-R.
Can you blank a CD-RW using cdrecord? Does cdrdao works for you? There
are no alternatives to these programs.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

A cow is a sphere that emits milk into all directions.
At least to a first approximation.
  -- An unknown physicist