Re: Problem using a TEAC DV-W22E withdvd+rw-tools/cdrecord-prodvd/dvdrtools.

>> If you need information about FreeBSD kernel bugs, ask the
>> FreeBSD kernel team!
>> You definitely need to replace your kernel with a working one!

> There was a deficiency in kernel that it does not provided sense codes
> automatically, as required by specifications. This problem was fixed in
> CVS, but 5.2 and 5.2.1 releases does contain this problem.

This explains the "kernel bug" answer... :(

> dvd+rw-tools were teached to obtain sense information from kernel
> manually, so they fully work on 5.2.1. cdrecord relies on working
> autosense and thus don't work on 5.2.1.

I already try to use "dvd+rw-tools" according to:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html

But here is what I get:
 # dvd+rw-format -force /dev/cd0
 * DVD±RW format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.9.
 :-( failed to locate "Quick Format" descriptor.
 * 4.7GB DVD-RW media in Sequential mode detected.
 * formatting |:-[ READ TRACK INFORMATION failed with SK=3h/ASC=11h/ACQ=05h]
   :Input/output error

Or:
 # dvd+rw-format -blank=all /dev/cd0
 * DVD±RW format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.9.
 :-( failed to locate "Quick Format" descriptor.
 * 4.7GB DVD-RW media in Sequential mode detected.
 * blanking .:-[ READ TRACK INFORMATION failed with SK=3h/ASC=11h/ACQ=05h]
   :Input/output error

If I can understand the problem relating to the internal bug with the
FreeBSD kernel (and not using cdrecord-proDVD), what may be wrong here?
Am I missing something?

> The help here is not easy. I'd suggest you to upgrade to -CURRENT, if
> you're ready to face all the possible problem of running CVS code.

... not really. In this particular case: a choice between
 FreeBSD-CURRENT + cdrecord-proDVD
or
 FreeBSD-5.2.1 + dvd+rw-tools
I would prefer the second choice: staying with the OS release branch.

> Other posibilities are running FreeBSD 4.x or avoid using cdrecord.

Is there no chance to use FreeBSD-5.2.1 + dvd+rw-tools together?

Thanks,
--
-jpeg.