Re: Problem using a TEAC DV-W22E withdvd+rw-tools/cdrecord-prodvd/dvdrtools.

>> I already try to use "dvd+rw-tools" according to:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
>> creating-dvds.html
>>
>> But here is what I get:
>>  # dvd+rw-format -force /dev/cd0
>>  * DVD±RW format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.9.
>>  :-( failed to locate "Quick Format" descriptor.
>>  * 4.7GB DVD-RW media in Sequential mode detected.
>>  * formatting |:-[ READ TRACK INFORMATION failed with
>> SK=3h/ASC=11h/ACQ=05h]
>>    :Input/output error
>>
>> Or:
>>  # dvd+rw-format -blank=all /dev/cd0
>>  * DVD±RW format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.9.
>>  :-( failed to locate "Quick Format" descriptor.
>>  * 4.7GB DVD-RW media in Sequential mode detected.
>>  * blanking .:-[ READ TRACK INFORMATION failed with
>> SK=3h/ASC=11h/ACQ=05h]
>>    :Input/output error
>>
>> If I can understand the problem relating to the internal bug with the
>> FreeBSD kernel (and not using cdrecord-proDVD), what may be wrong here?
>> Am I missing something?

> I'm not absolutely sure but I guess only growisofs accounts for the
> kernel deficiency and not dvd+rw-format. Andy?

This can explain why I succeed writing a DVD-R using "growisofs"; but not
to put a DVD-RW in the restricted overwrite format, nor change back to
the sequential format using "dvd+rw-format".

>>> The help here is not easy. I'd suggest you to upgrade to -CURRENT, if
>>> you're ready to face all the possible problem of running CVS code.
>>
>> ... not really. In this particular case: a choice between
>>  FreeBSD-CURRENT + cdrecord-proDVD
>> or
>>  FreeBSD-5.2.1 + dvd+rw-tools
>> I would prefer the second choice: staying with the OS release branch.
>>
>>> Other posibilities are running FreeBSD 4.x or avoid using cdrecord.
>>
>> Is there no chance to use FreeBSD-5.2.1 + dvd+rw-tools together?

> You should really go to a working version of FreeBSD instead. Note that
> you'll hit this problem on CD-R too, and dvd+rw-tools don't do CD-R.
> Can you blank a CD-RW using cdrecord? Does cdrdao works for you? There
> are no alternatives to these programs.

Maybe I will reconsider my position on using the -RELEASE. As I said
before: maybe this will resolve this particular problem, but running
a -CURRENT has some other disavantages!... :-\

Because this is related to a bug, is it not possible to integrate a
patch for this in the security advisories and other critical fixes
branch for RELENG_5_2?

For the second part of your answer, I already succeed to:
 - write CD-R (cdrecord);
 - write/rewrite CD-RW (cdrecord);
 - write a DVD-R (growisofs).

So, as stated by Jörg Schilling in a previous post:
 "Of course this bug caused cdrecord to fail in nearly all situations.
  If cdrecord did work with the buggy OS, it was pure luck."
Maybe is it some luck, but it seems to run correctly...

Thanks,
--
-jpeg.