Re: Error reading end of DVD

saidin:~> dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY:                [_NEC    ][DVD_RW ND-2500A ][1.06]
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       92h, DVD+RW book [revision 2]
 Legacy lead-out at:    364576*2KB=746651648

I notice that it lists the "legacy lead-out" at what would seem to be
the place where I get the I/O errors.

No, it's not. The value coincides with volume size returned by isoinfo.

I looked up the "-lead-out" option for dvd+rw-format, but that doesn't
seem likely to fix the problem since it's intended to help with drive
firmware.  Since these disks read fine under WinXP (running under VmWare
on the same machine), I'd have to guess that the problem has something to
do with Linux.

Linux and XP might use different method for determining the edge of addressable area. Linux relies on value returned by READ CAPACITY command, while XP might rely on TOC (which is sane according to dvd+rw-mediainfo output). If returned READ CAPACITY value is lower than it should for short recordings (it's the current theory), then you should experience the problem you're describing. Unfortunately dvd+rw-mediainfo doesn't show READ CAPACITY value... A.