Re: Error reading end of DVD

(I thought I'd try to send this again, this time un-digitally-signed...)

> > I can create a 720MB ISO9660 image with mkisofs and mount it with "-o loop"
> > just fine.  However, after burning it to a DVD+RW, I get an error around the
> > 700MB (after 341360 blocks, to be exact) mark with "dd".  Just trying to read
> > the files on the disc gives the same I/O error.  I'm using the 2.6.3 Linux
> > kernel.  Here are the steps I did on a DVD+RW disc:
> >
> >       dvd+rw-format /dev/dvd
> >       growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=/tmp/cd-rZN93I.iso
> >
> >       cat /dvd/015-install-wall-1.avi >/dev/null
> >           cat: /dvd/015-install-wall-1.avi: Input/output error
> >       dd if=/dev/dvd of=/dev/null bs=2k
> >           341360+0 records in
> >           341360+0 records out
> >           699105280 bytes transferred in 124.9 seconds (5597196 bytes/sec)
> >
> > I thought perhaps it was a problem with the write, so I switched to XP
> > (running under vmware) and could read every file on the disk.  Then I used
> > Nero to burn the same files.  When I try to read this disk under Linux, I
> > get the same problem as above even though XP can read everything is just
> > fine.  I'd say it's not a a physical or filesystem error.
> >
> > Any ideas?  Thanks!
>
> Not without dvd+rw-mediainfo output for resulting recording. What most
> likely happens is that Linux believes that recording "capacity" is lower
> than it actually is. dvd+rw-format -lead-out might do the trick. If it
> doesn't, then just record more data. There were reports about limited
> playability of short recording, less than 1GB, at least in some Lite-On
> units... A.

Okay.  Here ya go!  Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye on what happens when
it grows larger than the 1GB point.

saidin:~> dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY:                [_NEC    ][DVD_RW ND-2500A ][1.06]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         1Ah, DVD+RW
 Media ID:              OPTODISC/OP4
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:     2.3x1385=3245KB/s@[0 -> 2295104]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    03/2295104 R@2.3x1385=3245KB/s W@2.3x1385=3245KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       92h, DVD+RW book [revision 2]
 Legacy lead-out at:    364576*2KB=746651648
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           complete
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: complete
 Number of Tracks:      1
 BG Format Status:      suspended
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           complete
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            364576*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
 Track#1  :             14@0
 Track#AA :             14@364576
 Multi-session Info:    #1@0

I notice that it lists the "legacy lead-out" at what would seem to be
the place where I get the I/O errors.

I looked up the "-lead-out" option for dvd+rw-format, but that doesn't
seem likely to fix the problem since it's intended to help with drive
firmware.  Since these disks read fine under WinXP (running under VmWare
on the same machine), I'd have to guess that the problem has something to
do with Linux.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@precidia.com )

         The world is an easier place when it is someone else's fault.
  ( Couldn't verify my signature?  Use http://www.precidia.com/precidia.crt )